Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sometimes short, but always sweet



The last few days I have been itching to get on the bike. Every where we've gone since Saturday, my son has been with Dave on the bike, and I've been following in my car with the windows rolled down trying to pretend like I was having as much fun as they were. So today when Dave's friend asked if we wanted to ride over to Moss Landing for lunch I said, "Heck yeah!"

I knew it was going to be a short trip because I had to go back to work later in the day but I really just needed to get out for a bit and relax. The weather was perfect for a ride, not too hot, but warm enough, and no wind.

When we got to Moss Landing harbor we spotted some sea otters hanging out so we sat and watched them for awhile. Man, what a life. I was getting lazy just watching them. They were so cute, and didn't seem to mind that they had an audience for their afternoon nap.

After taking some pictures of the otters and boats we headed across the street to Phil's Snack Shack for lunch. It was a cool little place with a nice outdoor eating area right next to a swamp. Okay, I know that sounds weird, but it was really cool. We sat and ate our lunch, which was delicious, and goofed off for a little bit.

I would have loved to stay there all afternoon, but I had to get back to work so we headed home. The ride home was nice and easy. It was a short ride, but sweet as always.

The only good thing about having to go back to work was that I had to drive to Monterey, too bad it was in a car, but I got to stop at the beach for a few minutes which was cool. I also got to drive up into the hills and see some great views. So all in all, even though it was a work day, it turned out pretty good. Sometimes I forget that where I live is such a beautiful place, I'm glad that there are days like today to remind me.

12 comments:

Dean "D-Day" said...

Looks gorgeous. I wouldn't be able to take a ride like that though - you'd never get me to go back to work!

Lady R (Di) said...

You do have some beautiful scenery! I would love to ride the Glide along the coast out there. I hate that your riding has been limited lately, but I'm glad you enjoyed your little lunch jaunt. Thanks for sharing the pics, I love ocean views.

"Joker" said...

Too bad you had to go back to work, but on the other hand it sounds like your boss is pretty liberal on long lunches!

Great pics, that bottom one looks like it's in Hawaii or something.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a short trip will do the trick to satisfy that itch. Getting out there, even if it is brief, is what its all about! Sounds like a great day. :-)

-Connie said...

Great pics!!! Sounds like a great ride!! You have a lot more discipline than me going back to work after a ride!!! ;-)

B.B. said...

Hi all! Well I have to tell you guys that my job is pretty cushy and very demanding all at the same time. So while it does suck to have to go to work after that, it isn't like I have to go and sit in an office with a bunch of jerks.
I actually got to go for another little lunch ride today, it was awesome. It will be soooo nice when I get my own bike, then even if the kid is with Dave I can just hop on mine. :)

Joker- that bottom picture is the view of Monterey Bay from Jacks peak. Not that you know where either of those places are, but if you ever get out here ya know.

Ann said...

How lucky you are that you live in such a beautiful place! Love the sea otters! :)

FLHX_Dave said...

Sounds like a good ride B.B.! Wish I was there with yah...oh, I was, nevermind. Every minute is amazing when you are around. You make a great backrest too! (I knew you were checking out my baskets.)

Ronman said...

It's somewhat magical how a ride changes things. I notice on the days I ride Doll Baby to work that it's a better day. The commute is a whopping 4.5 miles, that is if I go straight to work. Some mornings I think about not making that last turn and just riding off into the sunrise.

Ronman

Kathleen Jennette said...

Boy did that post bring back a memory for me! When I was 16 during the summer, my mother thought it was a good idea to send me off with some of her friends and work the squid factories that were there. ughghghghg... I will never forget it. Hours working on an assembly line til 40-60 tons of squid was packed in cans. I made some good money for back then. Mom didn't know how much fun I had being on my own and hanging out at the only joint that was there. A little grocery store with a pool table in the back room. I learned how to play pool, smoke and drink a good Pabst beer--ha! Luckily I don't smoke anymore...I still like to have a good beer though.
Fun day you had! Thanks for the post and memory jog.

iNinja said...

Short and sweet; as long as it puts a smile on your face!
Nice blog!

B.B. said...

ininja- thank you. I stopped by your blog as well, I only had time to skim through real quick, but will go back when I have more time to read the posts. Loved the pictures though. :)