Sunday, May 18, 2008

Motorcycle Madness


Several weeks ago, Dave mentioned he wanted to go to Santa Maria for Motorcycle Madness. We decided we wouldn't be able to go for the whole weekend, but a day trip would work. The timing of the event was perfect, it fell on a weekend that my son would be away and I didn't have to work. We talked to the boys and asked who wanted to go, of course they were all in. It would be me and Dave, Cowboy, Bones, Wolf, and Dale.

As the day got closer things were falling into place. The weather had been awesome, and temps were expected to stay up in triple digits through the weekend. Dave finally bought a sissy bar and new pegs for me, so the ride was sure to be a lot more comfortable. And thanks to advice from my blogger buddies, I found some pretty comfortable underwear. :)

Around the middle of the week Cowboy decided not to go, he has a pretty long trip coming up so he had things to do to get ready for that. About that time a friend of Dave's told him he had discount tickets for the event if we wanted them. Rather than just taking the tickets, Dave asked if he
wanted to ride with us. One lost, one gained.

Saturday finally came, and I woke up with the same excited feeling I used to get when I was a kid and we would wake up before the sun to go on a road trip. Bones called and said he was out, not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that his wife's birthday is Monday and he didn't want to be in the doghouse.

We met the guys at 6:30. It was already a beautiful day, which is unusual for us, our mornings are usually cold and foggy no matter what. It was going to be a great day to ride.







The ride down was great. Perfect weather, nice views. The best part was riding through Pismo Beach. The ocean looked beautiful, and smelt awesome. We made a couple of stops on the way down, for the usual stuff. A little over three hours and we were in Santa Maria.



Motorcycle Madness, I was looking forward to some madness. Unfortunately, it was in short supply. The rally was not what I expected. It was very tame, I was hoping to get some outrageous material to share with all of you. It actually was a very family friendly environment, the only rally that I have been to where I would feel okay taking my eight year old. There were lots of vendors, some nice bikes, and a pretty decent band. But that was about it. Oh, then there was the "barley nothings lingerie fashion show".
We were looking forward to it, but it was a bust, and not the good kind.

With that said, I am a firm believer that you make your own fun, and I was there to have fun. I met Michelle Smith from American Thunder, and got a picture with her. I offered to take Dave's pic with her, but he said no. She was very nice, even though I accidentally grabbed her butt, not once, but twice. Then we just walked around and checked out the bikes, bought a couple of T-shirts, and ate lunch on the grass listening to the band.



When we were getting ready to leave, we walked by the Army recruiting tent. There were three guys sitting there in uniform who looked hot, bored and lonely. We decided to go and say hello. I asked if they would mind taking a picture with me, they kind of looked at me like I was crazy, but said ok. There were three, but one jumped out of the picture at the last minute. Still trying to figure that one out.


The ride home was great, although it did get a little too hot at some points. We made an unexpected stop in Atascadero to strip off some of our clothes before we died. It just happened that the exit we took led us right to a Harley dealership. Gary Bang's Harley. We went in and cooled down a bit and looked around. It was the nicest dealership I have been in, but the people were not nearly as friendly as at our local dealership.

We decided once we got home, we were going to go to Dave's shop to get a nice cold smoothie. Well, by the time we got there the temp had dropped about 30 degrees, so we decided on coffee. We were standing outside drinking our coffee and two bicycle cops came up and started talking to us. They were very cool and we had a great time visiting with them until they got a call that there was a bank robbery down the street. The one cop sped off, but the other one looked at us and said, "Yeah, that's funny, a bank robbery, the bank isn't even open right now." And off he rode.

We finally said our goodbyes to the guys and they headed home. I don't think either Dave or I were ready for the day to end, so he suggested dinner. We rode into the sunset to a romantic dinner at Taco Bell. It was delicious!

All in all the day was great. We took a ton of pictures, I'm sure Dave will be making a video for his blog, so I only included a few here. There were several times during the day that we commented how much more fun it would have been if all our crazy blogger friends could have been there with us! Anyone want to go to Sturgis?

13 comments:

-Connie said...

I just LOVE that picture of the little girl riding next to who I'm assuming is her dad! And her bike parked next to the big bike!!! It sounds like you guys had a great time!! I hope Dave does a video! I'd love to see more pics!!

Lady R (Di) said...

Well, besides having a nice ride, it looks like your weather was beautiful. I'm glad you enjoyed the day, even if the rally was a little disappointing.
Also, if you were going to be grabbing any body's butt, looks like you found a good one to grab. Woo Hoo! Dave had a nice butt shot on his video. I wonder whos? LOL!
Glad you your panties didn't give you any problems.

Mimi said...

I almost went to this, but was getting over a bad cold and decided not to go. Glad I didn't miss much as far as the rally, but it sounds like you guys had a great time anyway. I would have loved to meet up with you. Great pics and hopefully Dave will post more!

"Joker" said...

I hope the first time you grabbed her butt it was for you, and the second time it was for us!

Count me in for Sturgis...but in '09.

B.B. said...

Connie- I loved that little girl, she was walking around so proud to be with the big bikes.

Lady R- the ride was great! Weather was perfect. Yeah, whenever I get my camera back from Dave it usually has a few butt shots.

Mimi- hope you're feeling better. If you're still planing on coming for Hollister let us know, we'll be there.

Joker- one of the times was just for you! Dave and I are going to try to make it for Sturgis this year, but not sure yet if we will. But next year for sure, mark your calendar now!

Hey everyone-Dave got his video up, it's awesome.

Dean "D-Day" said...

You definitely grabbed a butt worthy of being grabbed!
Sounds like a good time even though the wild times never materialized. I don't frequent most of the well known rallies because most of them have gotten pretty lame. It's all about how much junk they can get you to buy. Check out some of the smaller rallies and you'll experience "bikerdom" the way it was intended.

B.B. said...

Dean- yeah I hear ya, I felt like I was at a swapmeet.

Ann said...

Great post. Great pics! The hubby was sorely disappointed at the Laughlin River Run last year...very family oriented.

We would LOVE to go to Sturgis...but it's not in the cards for us this year! Maybe next year!

B.B. said...

Ann- yeah, I don't know if we will be able to make it this year either, but I am going to try my hardest. But next year for sure!

IHG said...

Michelle Smith has the gig I tell ya!

You won't be disappointed with Sturgis, B.B.!! You will be in heaven! When you do go...go to one of the observation towers on Main Street and look out over the whole thing. It was the most amazing feeling...I got chill bumps and huge tears in my eyes. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. I felt totally at home!

Great pix of the little biker girl! Too Cute!

Red Jeep Club said...

Yes, I want to go to Sturgis. I am counting down the days and I can't wait. We have ridden our bikes for the past 9 years in a row and won't miss it. We have met a good group of friends and get together and camp each year. Great Fun, count me in, you want to come along?

B.B. said...

chopper- Not sure if we will be able to make Sturgis this year, but I'm still trying to pull it off.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that Sturgis is almost here, it sounds like an awesome event. Thanks for those pics, and I agree with everyone that the little girl riding the bike is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. I just started working with progressive motorcycle insurance since I started I have been finding out so much about motorcycles and the culture. It’s so awesome. Since finding out more about the whole “Motorcycle Culture” I have heard nothing but how amazing Sturgis is and I can’t wait to check it out. We’ll be at Thunder Road at Sturgis giving away a FREE Exclusive Sucker Punch Sallys custom-designed T-shirt.
All you have to do is visit http://motorcycle.progressive.com/, go to where it says Events and Rallies and print out the coupon. Present that coupon at our booth at Thunder Road and get your free exclusively designed Sucker Punch Sallys T-shirt, only given away at Sturgis. We’ll also have some other free fun stuff you got to check out, you’ll see once you get there. Oh, and while you’re there you can also enter to win a custom Suck Punch Sally’s bike. It’s an old school beauty.
Come on over to the progressive booth, we would love to say hello!
Hope I didn’t over step my bounds by posting on your blog, and if you have any questions or want more info please feel free to shoot me an e-mail!
Hope to see you there. Ride Safe.
Gia Anderson
Brand Ambassador
Gia.progressive@gmail.com