I honestly believe that everyone has some degree of obsessive compulsive disorder. While I was driving today I started thinking about all the little "systems" I have while in the car. And that led me to think about the things I do during my day that make some people look at me and scratch their head. I decided to make a list here for everyone to see that there is no shame in being weird. (of course from reading some of your posts and comments, I can see that some of you have no shame. lol)
In the car:
- Because of my job I am in the car for an average of 4 hours a day. I always try to have water and baby carrots with me to snack on. So lately I have a system of watching for speed limit signs and whenever I see one I eat a carrot, then take a drink of water, and then wait for the next speed limit sign before I will eat another one.
- The first thing I do when I get in the car is turn on the radio and find some music, it doesn't matter what kind of music, just music. I will listen to that station until either a commercial or a D.J. comes on, then I will wait for exactly 1 minute and if a new song hasn't started, I will scan to the next station that has music on it. I continue this the whole time I'm in the car.
- I use my cell phone for my alarm. Before I go to bed, I set the alarm, and then make sure it is enabled. Then immediately I check to make sure I set the right time, then I think "I better check in case I accidentally disabled it the last time I checked it." I repeat this over and over again for about 5 minutes, and then I get pissed at myself and say "screw it, if I'm late, I'm late."
- When I am watching T.V. the volume has to be in increments of 5...5,10,15,20. If it is on anything else it will drive my crazy and I will either fix the volume or turn off the T.V.
- Okay, this next one I have been able to break out of over the last couple of years...I used to think about what I was going to say, and figure out how many syllables it had all together. If it had an odd number of syllables, I would add or subtract words in my head to make it even.
- People hate to play card games with me because every time somebody draws or discards, I have to straighten the deck. Also, when playing cards, they say I take too long organizing my hand.
- All of my money in my wallet has to go from lowest to highest denomination, and it all has to be facing the same way, and right side up.
- In my fridge, and cupboards, every shelf is for a specific purpose..dairy has a shelf, meat, misc. liquids, etc. And in addition to having their own shelves, everything has to be facing with the label forward.
- The first thing I do when I sit down at a table in a restaurant is make sure my silverware is straight and even on the napkin. I also make sure that everything on the table is straight.
- If I have more than one item on my plate, I will take a bite of each item, then take a drink, then continue in the exact same order for the rest of the meal.