We have been getting a lot of rain here in sunny California. It's great because we really need the rain. The Governator declared a state of emergency due to the drought we are facing for the third year in a row. It would just be nice if it could rain all night and then quit during the day.
When I took the kid to school this morning I was optimistic. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun was shining brightly. I figured I could get a couple things done and then get some riding in since I have the day off from work. So just as I was getting ready to leave the coffee shop the rain started really coming down, no ride for me today.
Since I can't ride, and I don't want to go home to clean, I decided to share a couple of things that really peeve me!
1. I'm sick of people being in such a hurry all the time. I usually drive 5 miles over the speed limit, and I always try to stay in the slow lane so speed demons can pass me. But this doesn't seem good enough for those assholes who are in a huge hurry. I love it when some dumb ass rides my ass for 5 miles, finally decides to pass and then ends up next to me at the next red light. Here's a tip folks....if you're late for work, you're still going to be late no matter how fast you drive. Try waking up a few minutes earlier, or taking a shorter shower. Give yourself more time. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I like to drive fast, just to drive fast, but I don't tailgate, and I don't weave in and out of traffic just to get one car length ahead of someone.
This whole being in a hurry thing also applies to people waiting in lines. A few years ago Riley and I went to Disneyland for Christmas. I knew on Christmas Day it was going to be packed, and I resigned myself to the fact that we would be doing a lot of waiting. And we did, in line for the rides, the bathrooms, and food. I was amazed at the people waiting in line bitching about having to wait...what did they expect? And then they would be rude to the people working. Hey, give these folks a break, they're doing the best they can, putting up with assholes like you and doing it with a smile on their face.
2. I'm in a public bathroom, let's say there are ten stalls and I'm the only one in there. Someone comes in and has to use a stall right next to mine. Why does this bother me? I don't know, personal space maybe. Same thing at Dave's coffee shop. There are ten computers, I'm the only one here, and someone comes in and has to sit right next to me.
3. The lack of common courtesy. Someone holds a door for you, say thanks. How hard is that? The other day I saw a lady who had her hands full so I went out of my way to open the door for her and she didn't even smile or nod or anything. Now, I believe that we should be decent human beings without expecting anything in return, but it would be nice just to know that someone appreciates when you do something nice for them. People have told me before that I care too much what people think about me because there are certain conversations I won't have in public, or certain things I won't do, it isn't about what they think about me, it's about trying to be aware of other people's comfort levels. Do I think I need to change my whole life to accommodate others? No, I don't, but I also don't think it's too much to ask of me to move a few feet away while smoking so that it isn't blowing into the faces of people who choose not to damage their lungs. Or for me not to curse like a sailor in Chuck-E-Cheese and educate other people's children in all the different ways you can use the "F" word.
4. People who bitch and bitch and bitch about a situation that they could change if they wanted to, but they don't do anything about it but continue to bitch to anybody who will listen. Venting is one thing, and there are things in all of our lives that we cannot change. I complain about things, but I also try to change the things that are in my control.
5. Bill collectors. Yes, I understand if I owe your company money it is your right to get it from me, and I should pay it. You are doing your job and I understand that. Here is my issue...You call me and say my minimum payment is past due in the amount of $150. Ok, I'm out of work right now, I would really like to pay you something, but all I have in my account right now is $75. I would be happy to pay that and then pay the remaining as soon as possible. And then you say, "Well do you think you could pay $125?" Hello? I just told you how much I could pay, and that is what I can pay right now. Take it or leave it. Ok, you'll take it. You can set up a check by phone. Great. Oh, guess what there is a $25 fee for that. Well sorry, make that payment $50 then.
Ok, I think those are the only things I can think of right now. Thanks for letting me vent for a few minutes, now I think I can go home and clean. Oh wait, that's #6. Cleaning, I do it, it gets dirty again, what's up with that?
1 week ago